Click on each person to read their full biographies:
David Nunn Director – Dunlop Heywood Call: +44 (0) 113...
Nigel Davis MA Managing Director – Dunlop Heywood & Capgen...
- MA in Corporate Finance and Control
- Nigel is active across the UK, Abu Dhabi and Poland.
- He is currently acting for a wide range of clients from institutions to high net worth individuals
- Nigel is actively involved in a number of diverse projects including housing complexes, hotels, hospitality funds, mixed use schemes and investment properties.
Stuart Hicks BSc (Hons) FRICS Dip Rating IRRV (Hons) Director...
- Fellowship by Achievement of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Member of the Institute of Revenues, Rating & Valuation
- Member of the Rating Surveyors Association
- Diploma in Rating (IRRV)
- BSc (Hons) in Land Management
- RICS Rating Diploma
- Peel Holdings (Land & Property) Ltd v Mills (VO) RA/86/2014 – an examination of the economic crisis, resulting poor demand and the effect on value.
- Belfast International Airport v COV VR/9/2016 – the application of the contractor’s basis method of rating valuation.
- Antique Hypermarket Ltd v Dunlevey (VO) RA/68/2014 – the identification of the hereditament to be entered in the rating list and the correct interpretation of the rebus sic stantibus principle.
- Sunderland City Council v Pallion Engineering Ltd  – an examination of an occupiers liability for non-domestic rates and the enforcement process undertaken by Billing Authorities.
- Formed Dunlop Heywood Ltd in 2008
- Joined Dunlop Heywood Lorenz in 2001
- Joined Storey Sons and Parker in 1989
Andrew Chandler – Director BA (Hons) MSc MRICS Director and...
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- RICS Registered Valuer
- MSc Real Estate Management
- BA (Hons) Marketing and Management
John Gowland MRICS IRRV (Hons) Associate Director – Rating Call:...
- Post Graduate Diploma in Surveying
- BSc (Hons) PG Dip Surveying MRICS IRRV (Hons)
- City of Derry Airport
- Belfast International Airport
- Belfast City Airport
- Peel Ports Belfast (Peel Ports Group Ltd)
- Speedy Hire Plc
- IRFU Ulster Branch (Ulster Rugby)
- Northern Ireland Advanced Composites and Engineering (NIACE) Centre
- Short Brothers Plc (Bombardier)
- Non-domestic rating
- RICS Red Book valuations
- Acquisition and disposal of government assets
- Compulsory Purchase and Wayleave Compensation
- Rent Reviews and appraisals
- Capital Gains Tax & Inheritance Tax valuations for national taxation
David Nunn (Leeds)
Director – Dunlop Heywood
Call: +44 (0) 113 380816
Abu Dhabi: +971 (0)506 226980
David has 30 years of experience, joining Dunlop Heywood in 2011. Before joining Dunlop Heywood he was Estates Manager for Craegmoor Healthcare, a major national independent provider of support to around 4,000 people with learning disabilities and/or complex health needs. David managed Craegmoor’s vast estate of 370 UK properties comprising of offices, care homes, supported living units, independent hospitals, day care centres and further education colleges.
Before Craegmoor David spent a further 18 years with Bradford & Bingley Plc (latterly Abbey National Plc) as Head of Estate Management. Here he was responsible for the provision of estates services and overall estate management. He was responsible for developing and implementing the strategy to merge the split Head Office buildings in Skipton on to one site and the subsequent disposal of the surplus building
Nigel Davis (London)
Managing Director – Dunlop Heywood & Capgen Consultancy LLC
Call: +44 (0)7748 767779
Abu Dhabi: +971 (0)506 226980
Nigel has over 20 years of experience and holds a Masters’ Degree in Corporate Finance and Control. He started his career at Hanson Plc, before moving on to Crydom Inc, Crest Group Inc. and Hercules Property Services Plc. This was bought out by ERG Plc in 2004 where Nigel remained until forming Dunlop Heywood in 2008.
With a wealth of experience in financial and commercial management, Nigel has worked with a broad range of banks and other financial institutions. Combining this with his property expertise, he is able to deliver niche funding solutions services to a broad spectrum of clients, both in the UK and globally.
Stuart Hicks (Manchester)
BSc (Hons) FRICS Dip Rating IRRV (Hons)
Director – Rating
Call: +44 (0)161 817 4844
Mobile: +44 (0)7775 834324
Stuart entered the profession in 1989 and is a founding partner of Dunlop Heywood Ltd. He has significant experience of all rating matters including rating appeals, rates management and rates audit.
Stuart was awarded Fellowship of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors in 2017. He also holds the RICS Rating Diploma. First awarded in 1922, the RICS Rating Diploma has long been recognised as the gold standard in terms of measuring the capability of rating surveyors. Stuart frequently acts as expert in the Valuation Tribunals, the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) and has given expert evidence to the Lands Tribunal Northern Ireland and the High Court Chancery Division.
His clients include ratepayers holding specialist properties such as docks and harbours, airports, casinos and renewable energy sites. He also advises across many classes of conventional property including owners of over 50 shopping centres and retail parks across the UK.
Stuart frequently advises in non-domestic rating cases and has considerable experience relating to whether rating list entries are correct, exemption issues, completion notices, unoccupied rates disputes, valuation issues and collection/enforcement.
During the 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2010 Rating Lists, Stuart has been heavily involved in the British Retail Consortium Rating Panel, being appointed a Regional Chairman. Stuart is also chairman of various Rating Surveyor Association Panels in respect of the 2010 Rating List.
Instrumental in the Inter Bank Rating Forum; he led matters in respect of the valuation of traditional bank properties through pursuing an appeal to the Lands Tribunal against the 1995 rating list on behalf of Lloyds TSB Bank PLC; this resulted in a national framework agreement for such properties. Other key appeals include:
Other notable projects include co-ordination of all appeals following the Manchester Bomb. He obtained a leading Valuation Tribunal decision concerning the valuation methodology for concert halls and theatres and he advised Dublin Airport Authority where a €20,000,000 reduction in assessment was secured.
Stuart is active throughout England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. In 2017 he was appointed to the Executive Committee of the Rating Diploma Holders’ Section of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Andrew Chandler (Newcastle)
Andrew Chandler – Director
BA (Hons) MSc MRICS
Director and RICS Registered Valuer
Call: +44 (0)191 229 9714
Director Andrew joined Dunlop Heywood in 2013, following the merger with Bissett Kenning and Newiss. Having been active in the North East commercial property market for over ten years, Andrew has extensive regional knowledge with responsibility for valuation, agency, property management and lease advisory services.
Andrew acts on behalf of a wide range of clients including national businesses, charities, property companies, banks, pension funds, high net worth individuals and local independent businesses.
John Gowland (Belfast)
MRICS IRRV (Hons)
Associate Director – Rating
Call: +44 (0)28 9091 8200
John joined Dunlop Heywood in 2014 as Senior Surveyor after having worked in the private sector in England and Wales.
Previously John worked in the Land and Property Services (LPS) in Northern Ireland as a specialist rating surveyor acting on behalf of the Commission of Valuation.
As a specialist rating surveyor John has obtained an understanding of rating principles across Northern Ireland, England and Wales and he is currently representing a wide variety of blue chip companies throughout the UK. In this role he has acted on behalf of:
In his role as Valuation Officer he was responsible for providing an advisory service to Local Authority Councils and Government Departments on a range of issues including: